Something about November always drives me to be very introspective and extremely anti-social. It's a bittersweet feeling. I crave my alone time so much, but this can be perceived differently to others.
It just becomes physically exhausting to even hold a conversation with people. I have to really prepare to even walk outside my door, or stare at my phone for about 3 rings before I pick up.
But, in this time I do get some self-discovery done and so here are a few of my favorite things at the moment:
1) Cafés. - This is nothing new. But I LOVE sitting in a café with a cute cup of coffee, laptop, journal and books. I love the music that café's play. I love how everyone is equally into whatever it is that they're doing. I love how productive I am. I just love cafés. Honestly, I think I want to be a barista for a bit just so I can spend copious amounts of time in coffee shops. It has to be local though. Not a Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts, but a shop you can ONLY find in that area. Here in New Haven my favorites include: Atticus, Blue State Coffee and Koffee.
2) Underground Artists - There's just something about listening to people that not too many other people listen to. I was put on to Chicago artist Jamila Woods and I STILL can't get over her HEAVN album. You can find her here on Soundcloud. My favorite song from her is 'Lonely, Lonely'. Now, this doesn't mean I want to listen to any old person who drops a track on Soundcloud. I'm a 90's R&B/Alternative/Indie kind of girl. I love music with a good beat and an even better message. You all KNOW Erykah Badu is my idol, so if the music carries similar vibes as Erykah, I'll probably love it.
3) Romeo Santos - I'm obsessed with him, his music and Spanish. I'm currently in the process of learning Spanish and it always makes me grin like a 5 year old when i listen to his music and can understand exactly what he's saying. One day, I'm going to be bilingual and be a feature on a track. Wait on it.
4) Insecure - If you are not watching Issa Rae's Insecure on HBOGo, whatcha doin' sis? This show is HILARIOUS and too relatable for words. If you don't have HBOGo - invest. Or, have a friend slide you their password. Either way, the show is amazing and I find that nothing else gives me more joy than watching Issa Rae rap to herself in a mirror. I honestly didn't even know about Issa Rae until I saw a preview for Insecure a few months ago while watching Ballers. Her Youtube channel is equally as great and we should all be getting into her.
5) Youtube - Listen. I LOVE a good YT video. I'm over the whole natural hair thing and makeup videos too honestly. So when I find someone with genuinely good content that's visually appealing, I immediately subscribe. Some of my favorite subscribers did start out as hair gurus, but have evolved their channel into something so great. Here are a few of my favs (new and old):
I have a few more, but these are the people I have my notifications turned on for. Like, It's that serious.
6) Tea - I am, and will forever be, a tea enthusiast. I love experimenting with my tea and trying new flavors. All I want for Christmas is a herbal loose-leaf blend from Teavana, along with a strainer, and some high-grade matcha powder. That is all.
7) The Moon - I absolutely adore the moon. I can't even begin to describe the connection I feel with it, but staring at her gives me chills and I'd be incredibly fake if I opted to not include her on this list.
8) Painting - I love painting with no real direction. Just kind of making things because I wanted to use a particular color. Just having the freedom to create is slightly liberating for me. I don't have to please anyone. I can just paint whatever and keep it for myself.
9) Journaling - I would lose it if I didn't have a journal. It's great, honestly, truly. I love it because no one can see it or read it. Sometimes I write things that don't make any sense but because it's my form of release. I am a VERY misunderstood person and it literally feels like I'm taking years off my life when I have to explain myself to others. The way I think and interpret life wasn't meant to be understood by others, but in order for me to hold on to my sanity, I journal. And it's fantastic.
10) Incense - I love seeing the little smoke rise and fall and then ash. It's so beautiful.
I have a ton of other small things that I do that makes me happy, but this my friends are some of things I've decided to share with you. In such trying times, we have to find things to keep us grounded - things that remind us that we are human and we are allowed to feel things. Things where the joy can just flow through us with little energy being exerted. Our guilty pleasures, our happy place.
We are allowed to manifest things on our own that will make us happy. You don't need to rely on anyone or anything for happiness.
You can find love in the little things and create your own happiness that way.
Have a Great Week.
producer / writer / artist