to creatives everywhere...
Summer has arrived and this means in addition to searching high and low for a summer job, I also have some time to devote to my craft and begin to expand in my talents.
With that being said, I've noticed so many other people have discovered talents of their own and I'm literally so excited to see the work my peers create.
So, here are some tips for those of you discovering your skills and trying to expand on them:
1) Evolve: Don't be afraid to try something you've never done before - you just might be good at it. Once you've developed a new skill set, do not fall victim to the imposter syndrome, evolve with it.
2) Network: I've noticed, and experienced, that when people who are doing similar work that you are see how well you're doing, they tend to become very jealous, manipulative and won't support - do not be that person. We're all trying to make it and we all bring unique techniques to the table. Instead of being jealous of someone else, channel that energy into networking with them. They might be able to help you and vice versa.
3) Stay True to You: Cliché, I know. But, you'll know when something is working for you and when it's not. If you ever feel like you don't agree with something cut it loose. Don't sacrifice who you are for the sake of progression. Grow at your own rate and beautifully develop your craft.
4) Listen: Feedback is very important. As creators, we tend to have tunnel vision about what we find appealing, but it's important to take into consideration what your audience is thinking.
5) Never Give Up: If you believe in your skill, brand, talent, etc. you can't give it up. At times, it may seem like no one is supporting you or no one wants to see you achieve and that's when you have to put faith into your skill set and always strive to do better in order to take your passion where it needs to go.
These are just a few lessons I've learned after developing KayraJay and I'm constantly learning more.
I've been re-decorating the site so stay tuned to some new summer additions and more frequent posts now that the semester is over.
Peace + Love
Leave a Reply.
26 / libra / artist